40 hours per week • Closes Wednesday, 11th July 2018
In Rotherham there’s something rather special happened. The Grimm family have opened an apothecary. You may think, well there’s nothing special about that, but to mere mortals this is no ordinary shop as it is an apothecary to ‘the magical’. We supply wild schemes, evil plots and kitchen ware to beings, magical or mortal.
There’s something else that’s a little different about us to most high street shops in Yorkshire but if you read on you are sworn to secrecy… it’s up to you but if you read and blab, consequences may occur and Grimm & Co take no responsibility for possible happenings, e.g. spontaneous yodeling. Behind the everyday façade of the beautiful shop, through the secret door amongst the broomsticks and goblin mucus, there’s a whole other world, only accessible if you have an intact imagination. The ‘Imagination Gym’, leading to ‘The Writers’ Pad’, is our story destination. Here we champion the writer in every child and young person. We believe in taking fun seriously and unleashing the power of young people’s extraordinary imaginations, building their confidence, self-respect and enhancing their ability to communicate and aspire.
Here, young people can enjoy free activities, all aimed at encouraging and inspiring young people to write, whilst also receiving support through one to one mentoring from a trained volunteer. We also run special, imaginative workshops for schools – in-house and out in school settings.
More recently we have developed a festival programme and are also offering family learning provision within our shop and in festival destinations across Yorkshire. This centre is supported by our spotlight writer Jeremy Dyson (League of Gentleman co-writer) and opened its doors on 29 th February 2016 for children, young people, teachers, volunteers and of course magical beings of all denominations.
We are now recruiting for an organized, enthusiastic and experienced retail manager to help us to develop our trading arm as a recognized brand across the UK. Does this sound like you? You will be a great leader, a starter/completer with outstanding communication skills, and will be an exceptionally organized individual with a strong interest in, and experience of retail. You will have the drive and motivation to develop Grimm & Co further as the most exceptional retail experience and destination on the map. You will recognise the social value of our charity and as an enthusiastic self-starter be able to prioritise your time. You will have excellent attention to detail and an ability to keep things organized, together with good people skills. Volunteers are important in all that we do and you will need excellent people skills to build volunteers’ capacity to be involved in all aspects of the work, as appropriate. You will need an excellent track record in customer service and retail management, whilst being enthusiastic, full of courage to have a go and not afraid of hard work. In return we offer an excellent environment to work in where you will see the difference you make to every child we work with.
Grimm & Co’s Retail Manager:
This is a trading arm of an exciting charity which champions writing and literature with children, young people and families. Our centre (and outreach centres) are a fantastical destination to experience the truly magical. Our story is important as it is at the core of all that we do.
Our products and services are a little strange, wonderful and a lot of fun. We stock beautiful artisan products which make great gifts or could be a treat for yourself. Products are witty, funny, practical and beautiful, and the perfect thing about this is that all proceeds go to support the charity. We assemble many products ourselves in-house and we source 90% of our products from across Yorkshire. This is a very hands on job where you will be expected to work at all levels from stock order to product assembly, merchandising through to monitoring trends – online and in the physical retail centres to maximise sales. Grimm & Co Apothecary gifts all proceeds to the charity, supporting a very worthwhile cause. We are ethical in our approach to retail, e.g. 95% of our products & packaging are recyclable and we sell refills.
The aim is to maximise income while minimising costs. You will be required to deal with:
- Product sourcing, assembly and sales ready (inc. packaging)
- Customer service
- Finance management
- Human resources
- Information technology
- The day-to-day running of Grimm & Co’s physical retail space & online shopping platforms.
- Ensuring promotions are run accurately and to Grimm & Co’s standards and make sure that staff and volunteers are all working towards targets.
- Ensuring that outstanding customer care standards are met at all times.
- Creating and ensuring aesthetically pleasing & eye-catching visual merchandising – window displays
- Increasing sales and ensure efficiency
- Managing stock levels and making key decisions about stock control
- Analysing sales figures and forecasting future sales
- Analysing and interpreting trends to facilitate planning
- Using information technology to record sales figures, analyse data and forward plan
- Dealing with staffing issues such as interviewing potential staff, conducting appraisals and performance reviews.
- Providing or organising training and development.
- Ensuring standards for quality, customer service and health and safety are met.
- Resolving health and safety, legal and security issues.
- Responding to customer complaints and comments.
- Organising special promotions, displays and events.
- Attending and chairing meetings.
- Updating colleagues on business performance, new initiatives and other pertinent issues.
- Touring the sales floor regularly, talking to colleagues and customers and identifying or resolving urgent issues.
- Maintaining awareness of market trends in the retail industry, understanding forthcoming customer initiatives and monitoring what competitors are doing.
- Initiating changes to improve the business, e.g. Revising online platforms to ensure the store can compete effectively in the local market.
- Promoting the organisation locally by liaising with local media and the community in general
- Dealing with sales, as and when required.
- Develop and maintain a greater sales reach with the online sales platforms.
- Explore and implement export/import capability to source and supply the market.
Experience / skills required:
- Significant prior experience and strong, successful track record in sales/retail management.
- Exceptional organisational, analytical and administrative skills.
- A strong sense of quality products and service.
- Excellent verbal, presentation and written communication skills.
- Experience of managing others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to motivate and support others in a team.
- Motivated and with a deep empathy for Grimm & Co’s mission.
- Experience of monitoring and working within defined budgets.
- Able to thrive in a changing environment, and to work effectively on own initiative.
- Open to continuous professional development and peer learning.
- Comfortable providing support and learning to a diverse volunteer pool.
- Able to embed and promote equality and diversity through actions and words.
- Digitally proficient – social media, MS Word, Excel
- Ability to prioritise and manage your own workload.
- Not afraid to roll up your sleeves.
- Experience of international or export sales/best price sourcing of products
- Relevant qualification at appropriate level
- Experience of managing volunteers
- Demonstrated creativity and experience with social media
You will recognise the social value of our charity and as an enthusiastic self-starter be able to prioritise your time. You will have excellent attention to detail and an ability to keep things organized, together with good people skills.
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Self-starter, able to use own initiative
- Ambitious to develop the retail arm of the charity and raise funds
Please note that this post will require DBS clearance – we are able to do this on your behalf should you be successful.
Terms and Conditions:
Title of Post: Retail Manager
Reports to: Director
Hours: Full time (including regular evening and weekend work). Working days: Tuesday to Saturday.
Salary: Pro rata (based on 40 hour week) £26,000 p.a. depending on experience
Contract: Permanent position dependent on funding availability – to be reviewed end Jan 2019.
Grimm & Co is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Grimm & Co is a registered Charity No. 1154990.
Holiday entitlement: 25 days per year + statutory/bank holidays.
Deadline for applications is 12 noon, Wednesday, 11th July 2018. Interviews will take place during the week beginning 16th July 2018.
To apply for this position please email email@example.com for an application form.